Alison is Assistant Victorian Government Solicitor, Government and Public Law. In that role Alison leads a group of about 40 lawyers responsible for providing a wide range of legal services to Government clients about matters including:
- The development, application and interpretation of legislation (including in administrative decision-making);
- Merits and judicial review of administrative decisions;
- State and federal constitutional law;
- Professional disciplinary proceedings and regulatory prosecutions;
- Planning, environment and heritage;
- Human rights and anti-discrimination law;
- Freedom of information and privacy; and
- Public sector governance and integrity.
These services are provided across the full spectrum of advisory and litigious contexts.
Alison's clients value her considerable experience and her practical understanding of Government. In particular, they appreciate her and her group's willingness to provide quick, comprehensive and context-sensitive advice, often in what are novel legal situations. This can include providing urgent oral advice, participating in multi-disciplinary teams, responding quickly to interlocutory applications and coordinating whole-of-government responses.
Alison and her group can conduct training, present seminars and participate in roundtables on many public law and litigation topics and are happy to assist clients with professional development opportunities.
Alison has substantial experience across all areas of public law. This includes representing the Attorney-General and other State parties in public law litigation, particularly in the High Court; providing advice on complex and sensitive intergovernmental and constitutional issues; providing advice on the establishment of, and responses to, public inquiries; and advising on novel and difficult questions of law and legislative development.
Alison has participated in or chaired a number of Whole of Government steering committees responding to major litigation, public inquiries or other emerging issues.
Memberships and professional associations
- Australian Association of Constitutional Law
- Named Best Lawyers 2015 Public Law and Government Practice, Australia
- Appointment as a Law Reform Commissioner in 2013
- The Law Institute of Victoria's "Government Lawyer of the Year" award in 2011